Wednesday, May 7, 2014

CRAFT SHOW TIPS FROM A SIGN MAKER

 
 
CRAFT SHOW TIPS FROM A SIGN MAKER
(Cole Camp Craft Show Spring 2014)
 
There are many preparations when preparing for a craft show.  I thought I would share some of my experiences and tips I have found to be helpful and MAYBE you can use some of these tips to ensure you have a successful day as we have had!
 
ASK QUESTIONS  
  When applying for a show there are certain questions I always have....since our craft is large wood signs, I have to have ample amount of time to set up.  My favorite shows are when they allow you to set up the night before.  I don't know why, but I feel relaxed after my display is up, I get a good nights sleep and can finish decorating a couple hours before the show starts.  I have only done one show that did not allow us to set the night before and I swore I would never do it again.  I was rushed, my booth didn't flow well and it wasn't a good show....all of those put together made me wish I hadn't gone through all the work!  So that is always my first question,
CAN I SET UP THE NIGHT BEFORE AND HOW MUCH TIME TOTAL DO I HAVE TO SET UP MY BOOTH?
 
GAME PLAN
 GO in with a plan.  I always have an IDEA of how I think it should lay out.  I would love to be able to be typing that I have the time to set up my display before I go but that never happens, although a good idea...for many of us busy crafting moms we don't have the time to do this.  So just get organized in your head of how you want your booth to lay out.
 
ORGANIZE YOURSELF AND BOOTH
 Organizing, Organize, Organizing, Organize...did I mention organize?
Set up your totes the way you want to unload them.  I have crates and plastic tubs that I carry my signs into the show.  I bring everything in at one time.  I pack my signs by size, it makes it easy when going to display..."Oh I need a 24" x 12" sign here" and I know where to go to get it.
 
(extra tip: I like to keep product around my check out station, People have to come to you, so make them see your product...I always keep a little shelf sitter or candles etc on the counter (an item that is $2-$3.....I replaced this little welcome sign 5 times at this particular show.... it put another $10 in my pocket!)
 
 ORGANIZE YOUR CHECK OUT STATION
Here is a list that I make sure I never leave home without! (Remember I have a sign booth that is large so some of what is on my list deals with hanging)
make sure you have.... Change in a money bag, Pens, Business Cards, Scissors, extra price tags, "S" hooks for hanging, wire (you just never know if you will have to secure something) a hammer, nails (also for hanging), masking tape (you just never know), I keep all of this by my check out station at all times.  PRICE ALL OF YOUR ITEMS BEFORE YOU GET THERE!!
Other things to remember to bring:
tables, chairs, cloth to cover tables-Not necessary but creates more of a flow through your booth AND drap the cloth to the floor so you can put extra product or your tubs you brought product in with will fit under your tables perfectly!!
 
NON-COMMITMENT SPACE
Do what????? you might say.....I always make sure to display pieces on the outside of my booth.  For some reason walking into a booth can be intimidating to some people or they feel obligated to buy if they step into your "zone"  I know I always feel a little awkward if I go into a
 booth but don't buy anything. 
 
I find setting a narrow table with product displayed and signs hanging allows people to shop without being committed to you....then if they like what they see they may just come on into the booth and you may have another customer at your organized check out stand.  I always try to put a few of my best sellers in front FOR ATTENTION GRABBERS! 
 
(My "Non-Commitment Space)
Extra Tip:  Continue to fill these spaces once product sells, grab items that are high or really low IN YOUR BOOTH and put them out front as you continue to sell) 
IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE FROM THIS BLOG...DO THIS....I PROMISE PUTTING PRODUCT OUT FRONT WILL PAY OFF!
 
WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER
 This was the 2nd show I have put signs in my display pieces....create crates or whatever you like to display your items on during your show....allow it to carry your product as well.....makes for easy set up and take down.
 
(This is a crate all the product is sitting on and around....put some cloth on top of it and you have a primitive piece that also carries product....I was able to fit 40 of my smaller signs in one!!!)
 
TELL YOUR STORY
Now I don't know about you BUT I hate a pushy sales person and one you feel like you can't get away from.....make people ask you.  I put a picture up of my girls on one of product tables....this is how RiOak got it's name....people ask and then I tell.  I never push product upon them unless they are asking questions.  A simple hi how are you today works great!  Of course you can tell people a little about your things like "Oh yes I love this piece it is one of my best sellers, as well as this sign here.  Are you looking for anything in particular?  If your interested we do custom work as well, take one of my business cards and look us up or give us a call.
Don't be the person no one can get away from!!!!!!  We all know the type.
 (An 8 x 10 framed picture that has been photo shopped with both of my girls names on it and our business name along with a post card that tells our story) Had several people ask about our name and it is so easy to point to the picture and explain.)
 
CREATE FLOW
You want to have product EVERYWHERE IN YOUR BOOTH----High, low, middle.  You want to pull people's eyes everywhere.  I always use the same color pallet on my signs so it is easy to decorate. And creates good flow. You want to make it easy for people to stand in your booth and move around, keep things around the edges so your customers can get in and get out!
 
( There are 7 people in my little 8x16 foot booth but everyone was still able to look around and not bump into each other)
 
extra tip: I carry small items (candle rings, candles, smell goods, a few baskets etc....it makes my booth look like a little store) It also is good for those that might not have much money but want to feel like they got something....I keep stalk of $1, $2, and $3 dollar items placed throughout my booth.  Has been a great seller for us. 
 
 
LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....NETWORK AND APPERANCE
Keep several business cards with you, talk to people, enjoy the show.  Have fun and look the part.  I made these little aprons that have my business name on it, this way when I am walking around people know who I am.  Visit with other vendors and see what other shows have been good for them.  I always try to buy from one or two vendors every show.  First I like to support local and Second it helps create other customers for you! 
Smile your there to make money.....and for me, live my dream! 
(Finishing touches....very happy that it is all done and ready for customers!! Have fun!!!!!!)
 

(My Riley--The "Ri" of RiOak)  She come to help mom take down the booth.....last tip, have a good set up and take down crew, sure does help and make for a smooth show.  We are blessed to have a supportive family.
 
I usually try not to post long BLOGS but I had so many ideas and tips, sorry this got a little windy.  I hope you enjoyed.  Until next time...Happy Creating and many smiles from RiOak to you!
 
Just Another Day in the life of RiOak
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am also a sign maker and I am trying to find a better way to display my work when all I have to work with is a 6ft table. I'm told I can't bring anything higher than 2 ft off the table or have anything next to the table, as we are packed into the space right next to other vendors. My signs are pallet/plank style so they're skinny, but I have them in all different lengths. Do you have any creative ideas for making the most of my space and getting as many visible as possible? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete